What is Galentine’s Day?
Galentine’s Day is the day to celebrate friendships with the girls and takes place the day before Valentine’s Day, on the 13th February.
No matter what your relationship status – single, married or anything in between, this day is for celebrating all the women in our lives.
If your a ‘Parks and Recreation’ fan you’ll know that back in 2010, Amy Poehler, playing the character Leslie Knope, first introduced the world to Galentine’s Day stating, “It’s only the best day of the year! Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it—breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies.”
And that’s exactly what it is!
How to celebrate Galentine’s Day?
Yes, it’s a great idea to celebrate with your besties, but you don’t have to go full on as Leslie Knope did, in fact, I’d probably suggest scaling it back just a bit!
So first things first, get the 13th February penned into your diaries with a sharpie marker, then get a plan in place. The traditional way to celebrate Galentine’s Day is to organise a brunch or afternoon tea date for your girl gang. Get dressed up and go enjoy some yummy brunch food with a few proseccos or cocktails.
However, If you’re not into brunch and fancy doing something a little different, here’s some of our suggestions..
- A hike. Getting out in nature is great for the soul, so combine it with a hike with all your favourite gals and you’ve got yourself a great day of soul enhancing fun. Maybe pack a few tasty snacks and picnic blanket for a pit stop!
- Spa day. Because we all deserve a day or pampering, why not organise this with the girls. Book into a spa for the day or make your own spa experience at home.
- Girls night out or in. Nothing beats a good ol’ night out or night in with the. girls. Now that Ireland is open again, a night out could be just what the doctor ordered! Go mad, have fun! Or maybe a night in is more your thing – get a take away, get your comfies on and crack open the vino. Either way a girls night is a lovely way to catch up and have the craic.
- Group activity. This is a great way to bond even more and have a laugh at the same time. Go ziplining, do a cocktail making class, take a crafty lesson, organise a draw a nude class, go wine tasting, find a roller disco dome…whatever it is you’ll have fun cos you’ll be with your girls!
- Do something you haven’t done before. First thing that comes to mind is an ocean swim (or dunk even)! Think of something fun you can all try together and then maybe grab a bite to eat after.
Do I Need To Give Galentine’s Day Gifts?
No one expects a gift for Galentine’s Day unless maybe it’s a poem about how great a friend you are, as Leslie Knope does in Parks and Recreation!
This occasion is not as well known or celebrated as Valentine’s Day, so no one is expecting to receive anything. However, isn’t it the perfect day to maybe give something small as a gesture of your friendship, even just a card, and it would be a nice little surprise for your besties!